Days at home with the kids can be loooong and let's face it, we don't want to stay home! But we don't always want to spend an arm and a leg or prep for big activities a day in advance! So where does that leave us?
Check out this list of simple and easy activities for you to do with your babes. These are all geared toward minimal effort and spend with maximum impact. Pack your Baby Go nappy bag and enjoy!
1. Wander your local Bunnings
Mini trolleys, free paint swatches, a playground and indoor cafe. Need I say more? No. But I will- Sausage Sizzle. You've now entertained and fed your kids while contributing to a good cause. Winning.
2. Drive through McDonalds for a treat and listen to music or a podcast.
Sometimes Mum just needs a break and a drive through coffee can hopefully offer you just that! Treat the kids to some cookies or fries and you've got yourself some well deserved peace and quiet m'lady.
3. Walk to the supermarket for a shop and piece of fruit.
With the cost of groceries right now a piece of fruit is a fair trade we think. Pick up any items you need restocked at home while your babe munches on a piece of free fruit, that lets be real- they would NEVER eat at home.
4. Check out your local library for reading and craft
Taking noisy kids to a quiet library seems like a bad idea but most libraries set out activities and craft just for them. A little change of scenery and a craft activity you don't have to organise might be just what the doctor ordered.
5. Watch some local construction
Kids love construction. Just as the sky is blue and the grass is green it's just a fact. Any will do. If there's someone building a house nearby or the council are doing some work on the local playground you've got yourself a free show right there. Pack some snacks and enjoy.
6. Go Op Shopping and hunt for toys
Browse the racks while your babes delight over extra cheap toys and books. Bonus if the volunteers are child friendly and stop for a little chat with your babes. Even more fun is dropping your donations in the bin. You can participate in the circle of sustainable fashion and the kiddos are sure to love the bin gobbling up your donations.
7. Check out the animals in your local pet shop. As long as your kids aren't tapping on the glass you've got yourself a very relaxed and educational outing here. Usually with good parking. Win.
8. Watch buskers or street performers
Live music is the life blood of Aussies and the ultimate reset. Let yourself and your babes dance and get lost in the moment while listening to local talent. Bring this activity to a big finish by giving the kids some coins to drop in the hat.
9. Nature treasure hunt
You can make this as structured or as loose as you'd like. Make a list of natural treasure to find or just allow your kid to collect what their heart leads them to. Provide a special container or pouch for them to keep their treasure in.
10. Head down to your local markets. There's always music and coffee, I can speak from experience any baby brand will be more than happy to chat to your kids while you browse because we miss our kids as soon as we leave them!
Emma is the founder and CEO of Angus The Label, Mum of two and Step Mum of two. A self described Earth Mum Emma brings a particular bougie vibe to natural living through her company and loves to build community within her space.